Call Us: 0208 848 8319 - Email Us - Charity No.1093818
Disability does not mean Inability

Independent Support.

ended 31st July 2018

Important changes to the delivery of Independent Support (EHCP support) 

Independent Support has now come to an end but don’t panic! Find out about how to continue accessing impartial advice and support on Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) and Education Health and Care Plans (EHCPs) here:

It has been a great pleasure supporting families in Hillingdon over the last 4 years with their EHCPs and providing SEND support and we’d like to think we have made a positive impact on those who have accessed our service. Best wishes for the future with all things EHCPs.

You’ll be in safe hands with  





The Children and Families Bill received Royal Assent on 13th March 2014 and the Act  introduced a number of changes to the way disabled children and young people and those with Special Educational Needs (SEN) receive support.

The key changes include:

  • Giving parents and young people control over the decisions about the support they are given.
  • The introduction of Education, Health and Care Plans (EHCP) to replace Statements and Learning Difficulty Assessments (LDA).
  • Personal budgets provided for parents and young people to carry out their EHCP.
  • A requirement on local authorities to provide a local offer which will include education, health and care services.

Changes to SEN

The role of an Independent Supporter    

To provide support to the parent or young person during the EHC assessment and planning process, with the intention of:

  • Focusing on the main task of helping to transfer a statement into an EHCP.
  • Helping the parent or young person understand the local offer.
  • Acting as a named contact person for the parent or young person throughout the assessment and planning process.
  • Liaising across a range of agencies with the parent or young person to help gather the information required for an EHCP.
  • Providing information to parents and young people on personal budgets.
  • Supporting the parent or young person in contributing to an EHCP.
  • Signposting parents and young people to the local SEND Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS).

Who are the service recipients of Independent Support?

a)    Parents/Carers of children in receipt of a statement/EHCP.

b)    Parents/Carers of children being assessed for an EHCP.

c)    Young people with statements or an LDA in the process of transferring to an EHCP.

d)    Young people on the threshold of an EHCP.


For further information and support please contact SENDIASS on 01895 277 001 or


Other useful links and organisations:



Back to Top
Call DASH Now
Directions to DASH Office