Call Us: 020 8848 8319 - Email Us - Charity No.1093818
Disability does not mean inability

Independent Supporters.

Home / Independent Supporters


The Children and Families Bill received Royal Assent on 13th March 2014 and the Act will introduce a number of changes to the way disabled children and young people and those with special educational needs (SEN) receive support in the future.

The key changes include:

  •  Giving parents and young people control over the decisions about the support they are given.
  • The introduction of Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans to replace Statements.
  • Personal budgets provided for parents and young people to carry out their EHC plans.
  • A requirement on local authorities to provide a local offer which will include education, health and care services.

Changes to SEN

The role of an Independent Supporter    

 We will provide support to the parent or young person during the EHC assessment and planning process, with the intention of:

  •  Focusing on the main task of helping to transfer a statement into an EHC plan.
  • Helping the parent or young person understand the local offer.
  • Acting as a named contact person for the parent or young person throughout the assessment and planning process.
  • Liaising across a range of agencies with the parent or young person to help gather the information required for an EHC plan.
  • Providing information to parents and young people on personal budgets.
  • Supporting the parent or young person in contributing to an EHC plan.
  • Signposting parents and young people to Parent Partnership Services or local information advice and support (IAS) services, when the issue is outside the remit of an Independent Supporter.

We will work with and complement pre-existing local services. This includes the local authority SEN arrangements that currently exist and Parent Partnership Service.

Who are the service recipients of Independent Support?

a)    Parents /Carers of children in receipt of statements/EHC Plans.

b)    Parents/Carers of children being assessed for EHC plans.

c)    Young people with statements or Learning Disability Assessments.

d)    Young people on the threshold of Learning Disability assessments/EHC Plans.


For more information please contact George


Further information can be found on the following websites

Hillingdon SEND Team

Further information on the Local Offer can be found here.

Hillingdon Parent Carers Forum

Hillingdon Special Education Needs Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)


Back to Top